Poor fitting dentures are a very common complaint of denture wearers. But why does this happen?
When we lose all our teeth in one or both of our jaws, the “alveolar process” (aka “Jaw bone”) has minimal reason to “exist” so it starts to atrophy, i.e. shrink!
Without you doing anything at all….your jaw becomes smaller and smaller over time and your denture becomes loose. The most common response to that is for you to go and buy some denture “glue” from the pharmacy and hope that it “sticks” hard enough so your denture doesn’t pop up when you chew or laugh. But the jaw bone “shrinkage” does not stop with conventional dentures and continues to progress leading to recession of the jawbone and a collapsed unattractive smile. Conventional dentures also make it difficult to eat a wide variety of foods thus affecting your quality of life.
What can I do?
Regardless if your denture has been delivered by your dentist or by your denturist, there is a great option to significantly improve its function. It’s called an Implant Supported Overdenture.
Basically, with the support of dental implants, you can predictably transform your “loose jaw shrinking” conventional denture into an absolutely stable and tight fitting “Overdenture”.
The benefits of a denture supported by implants are several:
- No more denture “glues” are needed
- The variety and quality of foods you can chew and enjoy increased tremendously thus contributing to a betterment of your overall health
- The implants will stimulate your jaw bone and decrease your jaw shrinkage considerably
- Your denture will end up retaining your facial features and structure much longer
- Denture “sores” and embarrassing social “moments” become a thing of the past.
If you are currently wearing a conventional denture, then you are aware of all the problems that come with it. Why stick to the past when current technology and research allows us to offer you a predictable option to improve your Quality of Life, Sustain a Youthful Look and to finally enjoy Chewing again.